Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Wonton Skin ravioli ワンタンの皮のラビオリ

When my wife made cheese pockets, some extra cheese stuffing* was left over. I decided to use the cheese stuffing to make ravioli. Although I have a pasta machine (a hand cranked one), I wasn’t up for making homemade pasta so, instead, I used wonton skins. I also had left over marinara sauce from my pizza margarita that I made the weekend before.  I added light cream to the sauce put it over the ravioli and served it with green beans (steamed and then sautéed in butter).

Since I had leftover sautéed chicken breast**, I also served that to make complete meal.

*Cheese stuffing: This is a mixture of cheeses;
7 1/2 oz Ricotta cheese
1 egg (She used a fork to beat the egg and used approximately 1/2 in the cheese mixture and the rest as an egg wash to seal the pie dough. you could use the yolk in the cheese mixture and the white for the egg wash.)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Feta cheese
1/4 cup smoked mozzarella cheese
One small onion finely diced and caramelized
1/8 cup parsley finely chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

**Sautéed chicken breast: I used the technique I learned from the recipe blog site, in which I sliced chicken breast across the grain of the meat, pounded it with a meat pounder. I then massage the meat in sake and potato starch and let it marinate for at least several hours. Just before cooking, I seasoned it (I used dried oregano, basil, salt and pepper) and cooked it in a frying pan with a bit of olive oil. The starch and sake mixture appears to hold moisture in the meat so it came out very moist.

I did not take pictures of the process of making the ravioli using the wonton skins. I just placed a wonton skin on the cutting board and put on a small spoonful of the cheese stuffing. I painted the wonton skin around the stuffing with egg white, and layered the second wonton skin over it. Trying not to make any air pockets, I pressed it all around the stuffing to make sure the two wonton skins adhered together. Using an appropriate size round biscuit or cookie cutter, I cut out the the ravioli. Just to make it more visually appealing, I used the tines of a fork to make indentations around the edge (also to make sure the edges would not separate). I cooked the ravioli in boiling salted water with olive oil added for a few minutes. I removed the ravioli using a slotted spoon and put them on a plate coated with a small amount of olive oil to prevent them from sticking together. After they cooled down, I put them in a sealable container in the refrigerator (below).

I served this one weekday after coming home from work. I heated up the marinara sauce in a frying pan (below).


When the sauce was warm, I added light cream to make a saucy consistency and warmed up the ravioli in the sauce.
Wanton skins don’t not have the same consistency as pasta but they work fairly well as a substitute. The cheese filling also works well especially since this is leftover from another dish. Adding cream to the marinara sauce reduced the acidity and added a richer smoother taste.

We happened to have a very reasonably priced Super Tuscan red called “Brancaia 2011 Tre”. To us this is a bit too austere but it got better as it aerated. Not bad especially considering the price (significantly less than $20).
Decanter gave 95 and James Suckling 93 which appeared too high a score to us. Regardless,  it went very well this instant ravioli dish. This wine is also great with pizza.

No comments: