Friday, December 18, 2015

Monk fish medallions with lobster crab sauce アンコウのかにロブスターソース

I saw Monk fish fillets at our regular grocery store. It looked good and the price was very reasonable so I got two small filets for the evening. I could have made my usual baked monk fish filet but since we had lobster bisque (before adding cream to finish) from our previous lobster feast, I decided to make crab/lobster sauce with medallion of Monk fish.  So, I got a small container of lump crab meat as well. This dish was not based on any recipe and I just winged it but it turned out to be extremely good. Given the sweetness and lobster-like texture of the monk fish combined with the lobster flavor from the bisque it was not hard to imagine we were eating medallions of lobster tail rather than medallions of monk fish.


 I garnished with chopped chives and micro-grated zest of lemon.



Adding the sauce filled with lump crab meat and lobster flavored creamy sauce, it really taste like real lobster tails.

Ingredients (for two servings):
Monk fish: Two small filets, membrane removed, seasoned with salt and pepper. I sprinkled paprika to imitate the look of lobster tail more than for the flavor.
Lobster broth: This was a base for Lobster bisque. (Briefly reiterate; chopped onion, celery, sautéed in butter, add tomato paste, lobster shells, water and simmer for 1 hour. Remove the solids, reduce remaining liquid by half).
Cream, Butter

I first cooked the Monk fish, in a non-stick frying pan, I melted the butter and cooked the filets turning a few times and put them in a 350F oven for 4-5 minutes. I removed the filets to a plate, covered them with aluminum foil and let them rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile I prepared the sauce. In the same pan, I added the lobster broth to deglaze, added cream and butter to emulsify to make it to a saucy consistency. I added the crab meat to warm up. I tasted it and it was salty enough. I added few grinds of white pepper.

I cut the monk fish fillets into about 1 inch thick medallions and placed in the middle of the plate (see below).



I  poured the sauce with crab meat around the monk fish medallions and garnished with chives and lemon zest (first two images).

This was a really good dish. We really enjoyed lobsters we had almost week ago again.


No comments: