Sunday, May 1, 2011

Curry flavored baked drumettes 鶏手羽のカーレ風味オーブン焼き

This is a variation on the theme of Buffalo wings. I thought I bought whole wings but when I opened the package, they were all drumettes and I just came up with this dish one evening. A similar dish may indeed exist but this was not based on any recipe.

I had 8 drumettes. I seasoned them with salt and pepper. I made a mixture of flour and Japanese SB brand curry powder (1/2 cup flour and 1 tbs curry powder or add more curry powder if you like it spicier) in a Ziploc bag and added the drumettes and shook the bag to coat the chicken. 

I baked them in a hot oven (450F convection oven in the top shelf) for 20 minutes turning them once half way through cooking. Although I did not add any oil, the oil from the skin made a crispy crust. The upper side of some of the drumettes still had flour left halfway through the cooking, but, by turning it over, oil from the skin turned the flour into the crispy crust (self frying). The end result was as seen above; nice crispy crust/skin with curry flavor with mild spiciness. I served them like Buffalo wings with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing. The skin and crust are almost as good as deep fried. Beer will be a natural choice but we went for cold sake.

No comments: