Thursday, April 28, 2011

Parent-offspring (chicken and egg) bowl 親子丼

This was a "shime" 〆 dish I served one evening. Chicken and egg bowl or "Oyako donburi" 親子丼 is a classic "donburi" or one bowl dish. It sounds a bit gruesome when it was translated literally into English. Albeit less common, the combination of salmon and salmon roe donburi also falls into this category of "parent-offspring" bowl.


For 2 servings, I used chicken thighs (2, deboned, skin removed and cut into bite size), small onion (1, halved and thinly sliced), shimeji mushroom (root end cut and divided, or fresh shiitake mushroom stem removed, arbitrary amount or "tekiryou" 適量), some kind of green (spinach is most commonly used, here I used baby arugula, again, an arbitrary amount) and eggs (two, I used one brown and one pasteurized shell eggs for the reason you will see below).

Broth: I just used instant dashi granules dissolved in hot water (half cup), I added mirin and soy sauce (1 tbs each). You would like to have the broth a bit stronger than a soup but not as strong as a dipping sauce. I tasted and added a bit more soy sauce.

In two non-stick small (8 inch) frying pans on a low flame, I poured the broth and arranged the onion and mushroom. I put on the lids and let it simmer for 5 minutes or until the onion was almost cooked. I then added the chicken and let it cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the chicken was just cooked through. I added the greens and poured the beaten brown egg over it (divided between two pans). I put the lids back on and let it simmer for 2-3 more minutes or until the egg is almost completely cooked (image below), I turned off the fire and poured the beaten pasteurized shell egg over everything and put back the lids letting the pans steep for 1 -2 more minutes. (The beaten pasteurized egg should not be completely cooked).

I slid everything onto a bowl of warm cooked rice (I used leftover frozen rice, microwaved). By this time only a small amount of the broth remained.

This is best when the egg is semi cooked (or "hanjuku" 半熟). This is the reason, I added the beaten pasteurized egg after I cut the flame. This dish is a classic comfort food and perfect for lunch, dinner or "shime" 締め.

No comments: