Friday, October 21, 2016

Corn Rice cooked in corn broth とうもろこしご飯

Since we are still in the midst of corn season (early September) and piles of corn in husks are plentiful at the market, we, again, ended up with 10 ears of corn. Without having any specific plan of what to make with them, my wife went ahead and cooked the corn by briefly microwaving the ears covered with a paper towel for 4 to 6 minutes. I removed the kernels and my wife then made her famous corn broth from the corn cobs and onion. So we ended up with corn kernels as well as corn broth. Instead of making regular corn soup, I decided to make a Japanese style corn rice. After we made the corn rice, we made corn potage from the corn kernels and the broth.

Unlike the traditional Japanese recipe which uses sake, kelp or Japanese broth, I used my wife's very concentrated corn cob broth to make this rice.


Because the broth was not totally clear, the rice got slightly brown/yellow in color.


I served the corn rice with hot smoked trout cooked in our Weber using indirect heat and hickory wood chips. My wife skillfully deboned the fish for me and I served it with a side dish of cucumber, onion and dill salad.


This is how our hot smoked trout looked. The meat was very succulent with a nice smokey flavor and we liked it.


Ingredients for corn rice:
Corn kernels, raw or cooked about half cup (#1).
Rice, Japanese short grain, 2 cup (using the 200 ml cup that comes with the rice cooker)
Corn cob broth, reduced, (about 2 and 1/4 cups).
(You could add salt or light colored soy sauce but I did not. These can be added later jut before you eat).

Direction:
  1. Wash rice until water runs clear and drain.
  2. Add the washed rice and the corn kernels to the rice cooker.
  3. Add the corn cob broth to the mark (#2).
  4. After finished cooking let it stand for 10-15 minutes (#3).
  5. Gently mix and serve.



Using the concentrated corn cob broth made this corn rice very special. It had a very lovely corn flavor and a slight sweetness. We first tasted as is and then added butter and soy sauce which made it even better. This will be a regular seasonal dish from here on. 

No comments: