Monday, November 14, 2016

Philly and Tekka rolls フィラデルフィア巻き、鉄火巻き

We received tuna, salmon and uni from Catalina on Saturday morning. For Sunday lunch, I made one of the American-invented rolls called Philadelphia roll (or Philly roll for short). I also made the more traditional tuna "tekka" roll. I made Philly roll as a medium sized roll or "chumaki" 中巻き (left in the picture below)  and tuna roll as a "hosomaki" 細巻き (right).


Philly roll is so named because it is made with Philadelphia cream cheese.* It also included salmon and cucumber. The salmon and cream cheese combination is, of course, the traditional match used for Salmon Lox and cream cheese on a bagel; a classic (New York) Jewish breakfast. Philly roll can be "Uramaki" 裏巻き, (rice outside and nori inside) or "Omotemaki" 表巻き (Nori outside and rice inside). I decided to make it "Chumaki and omotemaki".

*Cream cheese may have the origin in Europe but is usually considered an American cheese. Philadelphia brand became the most popular version of this cheese which is now a part of Kraft Foods.


I served it with miso soup made of wakame seaweed, tofu and scallion.


Ingredients (for one medium roll):
Sushi rice, about one cup (#1, picture is the amount of rice for one medium Philly roll and one small tuna roll),
Sheet of nori (#2)
Cream cheese, cut into sticks (#4)
Salmon, sushi grade, cut into sticks
Cucumber (American mini cucumber), cut into quarters lengthwise with center soft part with seeds removed.
Wasabi

Directions:
To make sushi rice, I mixed seasoned rice vinegar (with sugar and salt or from the bottle) and let it sit for 10-15 minutes loosely covered with a tea towel (to lower the temperature of rice and let the rice absorb the vinegar, #1).
I placed a full sheet of nori with shiny side down on the sushi mat (#2).
I spread the rice in thin layers  making sure to leave about half an inch of uncovered edge of nori on the far side (moisten your hands with water with a splash of rice vinegar in it, #3).
I smeared the wasabi in a horizontal line on the nori using a finger. The line was approximately where the contents of the roll would be placed.
I put the salmon, cream cheese and cucumber on the side close to me (#4).
I rolled the mat with the nori/rice on it to make sure the edges of the nori sheet overlaped. I then squeezed the mat with the roll in it to make a firm roll (#5).
I also made a small roll with tuna in the center using a half sheet of nori (#6).


This does not look like a lot of sushi but we were quite full after eating this. My wife likes miso soup for lunch. This was a good starter after we received the sashimi items. Our expectations for a dinner of the other sashimi items we had received grew after enjoying this lunch.

No comments: