Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Vanilla Buttermilk Breakfast Bread a.k.a Pound Cakeバニラバターミルクパウンドケーキ

My wife was looking for a recipe to use the luscious Harrisburg Dairies buttermilk she just bought at Whole foods. This recipe was in her collection of buttermilk recipes and since she had never made it before, she glanced at the ingredients and thought it would make a nice breakfast bread.


Ingredients:
3 cups AP flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
3 large eggs
1 1/3 cup buttermilk

Directions:
Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside. Cream the butter until fluffy. Add the sugar and continue creaming. Then add the eggs one at a time and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Finish by adding the vanilla.

Alternately, add the butter mixture and buttermilk to the flour and mix. Put into greased 8 X 4 loaf pan. (I used a 9 X 4 1/2 load pan and one 5 3/4 X 3 3/4 pan because she didn't have an 8 X 4. )
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes for the small loaf and 1 hour for the large loaf. Cool completely before trying to take it out of the pan

This came out very light and tender with a very delicate vanilla flavor. My wife served it for breakfast and it was very good but something kept tickling the back of my mind. Finally it came to me. It tasted like pound cake. I mentioned this to my wife. After a moment of thought, she went to her buttermilk recipe file and took off the paperclip that kept the top of the recipe page obscured. And there it was in black and white: "Vanilla Buttermilk Pound Cake". It tasted like pound cake because it was pound cake...and a very good one too I might add. My wife had been so concentrating on the ingredients and directions, she didn't register exactly what she was making. That provided us a pretty good laugh. Also, I feel confident, that although it is not officially a breakfast bread, I will be able to "choke it down" for breakfast.

No comments: