Wednesday, July 1, 2020

No Knead whole wheat bread Version2 捏ねない全粒小麦粉パン 第二弾

This is the second attempt at "No knead whole wheat bread". This was an unqualified success. Two changes I made were; 1. Baked at 450F (instead of 475F) and 2. I let it cool completely and sliced it the next morning. The first bread, which was baked at 475F, had a mahogany brown crust and looked very rustic and artisanal, but for us, the crust was a bit too much. The second bread (below) which was baked at 450F had a lighter more brown crust.


The holes are a bit smaller than the first one which we like better.


This is crusty enough for us and has a nice nutty flavor with a chewy but pleasing texture. It takes 2 days to make this bread but it is easy to make since you do not have to knead the dough. The only difficult and dangerous thing is not to burn yourself while trying to get the uncooked loaf into the super heated hot cast iron Dutch oven. My next bread will be the no knead rye bread.

1 comment:

Only Julia said...

The bread looks wonderful. I'm curious about how the rye will be. I have some rye flour. I also have some buckwheat flour and I wonder how that would work. My AC is not strong enough to combat the oppressive heat and the oven going.