Monday, February 7, 2022

Mayonnaise muffins マヨマフィン

 I am wondering if I should change the name of the blog since my wife’s baking is more frequent than my Izakaya dishes these days. In any case, here is another of my wife’s baking projects. This is an installment of what she is now calling her new series “cooking with mayonnaise” which evolved after she made the mayo/miso peanut butter cookies logged onto the Hellmans mayonnaise web site and found more baking recipes.** This is a mini muffin. It has a relatively dense texture and sweet taste including the topping. We think it makes a nice sweet mouthful as a desert rather than as a breakfast As usual I ask my wife to provide us with "how-to"s.

**Note: we just found out this mayo is called Hellman’s in the eastern U.S. and Best Foods in the western U.S. 


Ingredients: Makes 24 mini muffins
For the muffin
1 cup AP flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. Vanilla

For the topping
(Original recipe) (I recommend reducing the amount of topping. See below)
1/2 cup AP flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup toasted walnuts finely chopped
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon

Half quantity of topping
1/4 cup AP flour
1/6 cup sugar
1/8 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup toasted walnuts
1/8 tsp. Cinnamon

Directions:
To make the topping, combine all the topping ingredients in a bowl. Using your fingers mix into crumbs and then set aside. For the muffin, beat together the sugar through vanilla until completely combined. Whisk in the flour until combined. Pour into greased muffin tins (I recommend using mini muffin papers. It will make it much easier to get the muffins out of the pan.) Top with the prepared crumbs. Cook in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in the pan. Remove from the pan an cool further on a wire rack.


The next picture shows the muffins right out of the pan. 


I recommend reducing the amount of crumb topping because the next picture shows what happened to the topping when I tried to take the muffins out of the tin. It mostly all came off and went all over everything. But not to despair. I did not throw it away. I gathered it up and I am using it as a topping for yogurt in the morning which is working out well. Maybe because of the flour/mayo combo the crumbs don’t dissolve in the yogurt and they add a nice sweet crunch. 


I see why the recipe calls for making these as mini rather than full sized muffins. They are very rich and sweet.  A full muffin could easily be “too much of a good thing”. The muffin has a moist dense texture and pleasant vanilla flavor. The topping adds a nice crunch element and the nutty flavor of the toasted walnuts. The combination makes the perfect desert bite. 

No comments: