Thursday, February 4, 2016

Salmon nanban 鮭の南蛮漬け

For my New Year's salmon dishes, I bought the entire side of a salmon which was rather large.  (It was very reasonably priced.) I made all the following dishes from just that one side: Russian marinated salmon, 鮭のロシア漬け, salmon fry 鮭のフライ, salmon panfried which I finished in the oven (2 servings) 鮭の塩焼き, belly portion marinated and grilled 鮭のハラスの柚庵焼き (2 good servings as an appetizer) and then I made this fried salmon marinated in sweet vinegar or salmon nanban 鮭の南蛮漬け to finish all the salmon--it went a long way. This is a variation on the theme of other nanaban 南蛮 dishes in which I used sardines, shishamo, and chicken.

Below on the left is the salmon nanban and on the right is the Russian marinated salmon garnished with salmon roe.



Here is a close up with one piece of salmon covered with marinated carrot, onion and celery.


This was another day, you can see the celery and salmon better.


Ingredients:
Salmon: skin and bone removed cut into eight 1/2 inch thick large bite sized pieces.
Flour: for dredging
Salt and peper:
Carrot: Two small, peeled and cut into julienne.
Sweet onion: One medium, cut into small strips
Celery: 2 ribs, cut into julienne.

For marinade:
Dashi broth: 1/2 cup (made from dashi pack with kelp and bonito).
Rice Vinegar:1/2 cup
Sugar: 1/4 cup (or 4 tbs)
Salt: 1/2 tsp
Light colored soy sauce 2 tbs
Japanese whole dried red pepper: 1
Yuzu juice: a dash if you have it.

Directions:
I made the marinade first. In a small sauce pan, I added all the ingredients except for the yuzu juice and gently warmed it up to dissolve the sugar and then simmered it for a few more minutes. I let it cool down to room temperature. I fished out the dried red pepper and cut it into small rings and returned it to the marinade. I added a splash of yuzu juice but it is optional. (I used one from the bottle since I do not have fresh yuzu fruit or juice). I added the julienned vegetables and let it sit for several hours.

I seasoned the salmon pieces with salt and pepper. Dredged them in flour and deep fried in 350F oil for 1-2 minutes turning once. I drained the excess oil and immediately submerge the salmon pieces in the marinade and covered them with the marinating vegetables.

We could have eaten it immediately but I let it to marinate until the next day in the refrigerator.

This is a just variation of nanban dishes and I like the one with small fish best but salmon is not bad at all. Because of the vegetable marinated with the salmon, it is almost like a salad. We enjoyed this dish for the next 5 days with the other new year osechi dishes 御節料理.


No comments: