Saturday, August 17, 2019

Perilla-wrapped marinated tuna tempura 漬けマグロの青紫蘇包天ぷら

This is the last of three dishes I made from the frozen block of yellowfin tuna. Actually, I was planning to make all three dishes one evening to finish up the tuna block. We, however, bogged down with the first two dishes (we had other small dishes as well) so I made this dish a day later. As a result, the tuna was marinated for 20 hours or so but it did not adversely affect the taste.


The perilla is from our herb garden. This year, our perilla went crazy and is almost 5 feed tall and the leaves are rather large. Although this is based on a recipe on line, I made some changes and used thin tempura batter instead of just potato starch. I also used toothpicks to secure the perilla. This perilla-wrapped tempura is similar to natto tempura I posted before.


I just cut thickly sliced tuna which was marinated into two bite size and wrapped it with half of the perilla leaves (depending on the size of the perilla, you may have to use a full leaf). I put a toothpick through to secure the perilla on the tuna.


I made thin tempura batter from cake flour and cold water. I coated the tuna package with the batter and fried it in 350F peanut oil for 30 seconds (I wanted the center still rare). Since the tuna was marinated, I did not have any dipping sauce or my usual green tea salt for this. This was quite good. The tuna almost tasted like beef with a crunchy curst nice perilla flavor. This will go with any kind of drink.

No comments: