Thursday, August 22, 2019

Frozen squid with butter and yuzukusho 冷凍イカのバター柚子胡椒炒め

I described the type of squid we can get from our regular grocery store which is previously frozen and thawed at the store "for your convenience". Although occasionally I can get a larger frozen squid from Japan at our Japanese grocery store, it is not consistent. So, I started looking for frozen squid at our grocery store. I found one from PanaPesca. Actually, I realized I had previously gotten frozen octopus of the same brand. One weekend, I decided to have this squid.


I thawed this in the refrigerator, washed and quickly cooked it in salted boiling water with a splash of sake for 30 seconds. Although it smelled better than the previously thawed variety, they were smaller and for some reason the "beaks" had not been removed from the tentacles. In any case, we enjoyed this squid  two ways on different days. This is sautéed with butter and yuzu-kosho 柚子胡椒. I served this with our usual spicy tofu and store-bought fish cakes (the latter two were heated up in the toaster oven).


If I sautéed the uncooked squid, it could have been better but the combination of butter and yuzu-kosho was good. Squid was quite tender and flavorful.


I wish the squid was a bit larger but I may stock this one in the freeezer.

No comments: