Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Nagaimo and natto fry 長芋と納豆の落とし揚げ


I saw this recipe on line.  It looked like a perfect drinking snack. Since I had both natto 納豆 and nagaimo 長芋 in the fridge, I decided to try it. I served it with a sprinkle of Kosher salt and wedges of lemon.


This was a qualified success. However, we would much prefer natto tempra with perilla leaves 納豆と大葉の天ぷら. 

Ingredients:
Natto, 1 pack, frozen, thawed, with a liquid seasoning pack and mustard
Nagaimo, 100g grated
Aomori, 1/4 tsp
Flour 2 tbs

Oil for frying.

Directions:
1. I placed the natto, nagaimo, and all the flavoring packs that came with the natto in a bowl.
2. I added dried aonori and flour.
3. Mixed them well.
4. Placed the batter on a spoon and dropped it into the hot oil. I fried it until the surface was crispy and  brown.


I probably should have put more flour in this dish. It was a bit difficult to fry. I had to fold it while deep drying to make it come together. I may have over cooked it as well. The result was very light and crunchy without much substance. The natto was not sticky and had a rather assertive flavor. My assessment may not be fair to this recipe since I may not have made it properly. Nonetheless we probably much prefer natto tempra with perilla leaves.

No comments: